It’s about that time: fall break is near and finally packing can commence for the long week home with friends and family. Don’t stare at the pile of clothes in dismay and wonder how they’re all going to fit into one bag without paying that over 50 pound baggage fee; here are some tips:
1. Leave extra room in the suitcase. Don’t pack up all summer clothes; save them for layering up during the fall. Don’t take running shoes and workout clothes home; honestly, running is probably not going to happen.
2. Bring lighter assignments home to work on, but don’t bring every single textbook home. Most of the break is going to be spent in front of the TV watching re-runs of Days of Our Lives. Bring a laptop, a stack of magazines, or a book to read for fun to detox from the stresses of school.
3. Roll up clothes. This is crucial for bringing back cozy fall sweaters. Rolling clothes not only saves space, but also can prevent clothes from wrinkling too much.
4. Wash clothes before you go home. Who wants to return to the smell of dirty laundry? That motivator alone should be enough.
5. Don’t pack every single toiletry when going home, because if it’s home, it’s probably stocked full of toothpaste and shampoo. If it’s not at home, be sure to pack only the essentials.
Packing smart helps maximize space, so returning to campus with leftovers, new clothes, more toiletries, and maybe even a few finished assignments is possible. Good luck and have a restful break!