Press "Enter" to skip to content

Golden Eagles fall to Missouri State in double overtime

The Golden Eagles took on Missouri State for the second time this season Tuesday night. Just as the game looked to be taking the same 1-1 tie in double over time, Missouri scored with two minutes remaining to take the win in this non-conference match.

Matthew Rogers put ORU on the board in the 11th minute of the match, with a penalty inside of the box, good for his fourth goal of the season.

“Rogers played fantastic tonight, he got in and out of situations really well and put Missouri under pressure. He had a great night,” said head coach Ryan Bush.

Nearly ten minutes later into the match, the Bears responded with a charge into the box, and rally of shots off of the post and then off of the feet of the Golden Eagles goal keeper Thibaut Giquel.

Missouri’s Jack Griffin received the ball and made an upper 90 shot from 25 feet out, gaining the equalizer for the Bears. As half time arrived, both teams stood 1-1.

After a relentless battle through 107 minutes of play, Missouri’s Jake Buckle received a left to right pass from Nick Burtenshaw and landed a short goal on ORU. Giving the Bears the victory for the evening.

“They came out strong, and we got unlucky with their goal after the penalty,” said senior forward Matthew Rogers. “Missouri State is going be just like Omaha, I think we just saw kind of a glimpse of what we can expect.”

ORU will host their final conference game this season against Omaha November 5.

“Missouri state is very similar for Nebraska Omaha, which will be a must win game for us. They are physically capable and very well organized,” said Bush.

With a 6-8-2 record over all, and 2-3 record in the league after the loss to Denver earlier this week, the Omaha match will determine if the Golden Eagles continue onto the Summit tournament this season.

ORU will travel to take on Buffalo this Sunday October 30 in regular season play, the match is set to start at 10 a.m.