Coffee shops are a great way to get off campus, enjoy a favorite café drink and have deep talks with
a friend. Many students utilize coffee shops as study spots. Here are five popular coffee shops to visit when study time comes around.
1. The Phoenix
This stylishly designed building has multiple seating options with big tables and electrical outlets. The Phoenix has a homey feel, providing couches for a comfortable study time. It also has a great view of downtown Tulsa for those who enjoy a view while studying. Relaxing music is played at a low level for those who don’t prefer to listen. Local artists perform live music every Tuesday night.
• Most popular drink: Phoenix mocha
• Hours: Sunday-Thursday: 6:30 a.m.-12:00 a.m. • Friday-Saturday: 6:30 a.m.-2:00 a.m.
• 7.1 miles from ORU
2. Foolish Things Coffee
This coffee shop has an open feel with big windows letting the natural light shine in. The tables provide a large workspace, seating more than five people each. Bring some headphones to create a secluded environment and get those last minute assignments completed. Foolish Things has an outside patio optimal for a revitalizing study session on warm days.
• Most popular drink: Oak aged cold brew
• Hours: Monday-Friday: 7:00 a.m.-6:30 p.m. • Saturday: 8:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
• 8.5 miles from ORU
Located downtown near the Mayo Hotel, this coffee destination has a classy and upscale feel. Although there is limited seating, it is typically not busy during the evening. The baristas are friendly and welcoming. Topeca also offers delicious food for those who get study munchies.
• Most popular drink: Americano
• Hours: Monday-Wednesday: 6:30 a.m.-8:00 p.m. • Thursday-Friday: 6:30 a.m.-10:00 p.m.
• Saturday: 8:00 a.m.-10:00 p.m.
• Sunday: 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
• 7.2 miles from ORU
4. Coffee House on Cherry Street
Nicknamed “CHOCS,” this neighborhood coffee house offers a variety of food items including roasted coffee, homemade breakfast and desserts. Musicians are welcome to perform live music; to sign up for a set, call 918-779-6137.
• Most popular drink: Polar Bear
• Hours: Monday-Thursday: 6:30 a.m.-11:00 p.m. •Friday-Saturday: 6:30 a.m.-12:00 a.m.
•Sunday: 7:00 a.m.-11:00 p.m.
• 7.1 miles from ORU
5. Shades of Brown
Shades of Brown, located on Brookside, takes on the area’s hipster character, grungy yet artsy, in a pop- ular part of Tulsa. Dim lighting creates a cozy setting. A wide variety of seating options, including the open first room, a coffee bar and the more secluded back room offer options to sip and study.
• Most popular drink: Chai tea latte
• Hours: Monday-Thursday: 6:30 a.m.-11:00 p.m. • Friday: 6:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
• Saturday: 7:00 a.m.-12:00 a.m.
• Sunday: 8:00 a.m.-11:00 p.m.
• 4.5 miles from ORU
Story by Kelsey Luetjen, Photos by Wyatt Bullard and Abby Friedman