Next time group advisement makes its way onto the schedule, look at the following course credit tweaks to save
money. According to the ORU Registrars office, each credit hour costs roughly $998 for on-campus undergraduate students.
For HPE Classes
1. If you are a senior and dreading HPE, check out the aerobics proficiency class. This class allows the student to skip 9:50 a.m. HPE classes twice a week and run a more difficult field test at the beginning of the semester. If the field test is passed, the class is completed with BMI and aerobics points. If not, another field test chance is given at the end of the semester.
2. HPE courses after Health Fitness I and II can be decreased to half of a credit-hour in order to get the total 18.5 credits allowed per semester.
3. Students may be able to use the same course to fulfill multiple requirements, and if a class is required under two different degree plans. This move, called “double dipping,” is often done by using the same class to fulfill Gen Ed or cognate requirements and the minor. Humanities classes are required in all majors, but it only takes an additional two humanities classes to attain a humanities minor.
Don’t forget, using a class to fulfill both requirements doesn’t mean it double credits are earned.
Take a CLEP Test
4. ORU has a list of classes eligible to be transferred in from advanced placement (AP) high school courses. College credits are awarded once an AP test is passed.
5. Students can test out of many Gen Ed classes for $105 or less through the College Level Exam Program (CLEP).
6. There are also summer internships offering college credit. For example, Apple Tree in New Mexico offers an opportunity to earn three to six credits in humanities, social work or sociology. All internships must be approved and students must be enrolled in an internship class before credit will be given.
For Study Abroad
7. There are several study abroad opportunities provided through ORU and other organizations. Dr. Eric Newberg, associate professor of theology and history, is coordinating a trip this summer to take students to Israel on a three-week trip. Students can earn up to six hours of credit in general education Bible classes and other theology classes. During this time students will take courses at Jerusalem University College.
The Council of Christian Colleges and Universities (CCCU) offers several unique opportunities for college students of different majors. CCCU provides music majors a semester in Nashville’s Contemporary Music Center. Media majors may learn at the Los Angeles Film Studies Center. The CCCU has study abroad programs in Oxford, Australia, China and other countries.
8. For those studying a language, immersion in a foreign country is recommended to become fluent. ORU has connections to learn in Spain, France, Costa Rica and China. Studying abroad includes an in-depth study of history, geography and art. Students learn about the country’s culture while having an opportunity to put what they have learned in the classroom to practical use. These experiences can be as short as two weeks, with students earning a language 203 credit; or as long as a semester with a maximum of 15 credit-hours achieved.
Co-Director of the ORU Study Abroad Program, Brenda Calderon helps to place students in the ideal situation for their learning experience.
“It helps finish degrees and completely changes your life,” said Calderon.
Before making changes, check with your academic advisor to ensure these tips and tricks will work for your individual needs.